It has been a while since I have had time to enter new information on my blog. The days at the Discovery Center fly by and Friday's at Wesley are hurried and busy. I wonder what it would be like to have planning periods again and to be able to go home and relax? I guess it is a trade off, teach at an innovative new school where material is always current and I have liberty to be creative on every front or return to the days when my textbooks told me exactly what my lessons were to be each day. There wasn't near the liberty or the work in those days.
Today the students read an article sent to me by one of my parents about how blogging has caught on among teenagers. I was inspired to see that through blogging teens really have a voice in their world with a live audience. There was precious little I could have done in my teen years that anyone knew about except maybe my immediate family. I hope my students will continue to develop the power of the pen. Their minds are sharp and they think...there is no reason why they should not write.
Tomorrow I have a busy day setting up collaborating educational venues between MSU and the Summit. Dr. Fred Groves will meet with Mrs. Sweeney and I to discuss the possibility of becoming one of our board members. Dr. Groves is on the same page with the Summit and I am
so excited that Mrs. Sweeney will have the opportunity to meet with him.
In the afternoon we are going to check out the newly renovated bowling alley at MSU and I have a meeting with the director at 2:00. A partnership with MSU recreation will open the door for college PE credit in a few years. I am so encouraged my alma mater is there for me in these young days of the Summit. I am proud to be a graduate of MSU.
We will ride Bearline for the first time tomorrow, and I am pleased to be able to utilize this transportation system to make access to the campus even more convenient. The downtown location has really helped with the continual transportation needs of an upper school.
Right now I have our high school at the Midtown library. Once again utilizing the community resources around us. The students are researching the VietNam War and it is bringing back some tender childhood memories. My dad was army in those days and missed being shipped out by about 12 hours. He got orders to go to Ft. Leonard Wood and his outfit got orders to go to VietNam 12 hours later. I remember the stress the war caused my family and the friends lost in battle. It was a sad time in my life and I remember praying every night for the war in Vietnam to end. I did not understand the politics but I could understand the grief that was around me due to the war.
I guess for now I shall end my babblings and hopefully some of my students will know me a little better after reading my thoughts.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment